Monday, August 27, 2012

I love pork


            Life in Lesotho is literally a comedy of errors most of the time, at least whenever the pigs on my school compound are present. There is so much to say in such a limited amount of space. Chronologically, there have been several PC trainings, a vacation to Mozambique, the start of the second semester, more run-ins with the pigs (which, in one case, ended in a very tasty meal) and a successful (and stressful) HIV/AIDS life-skills workshop for the Form C students at my school. As always, I am learning ngata (lots) and constantly being challenged to keep my mind open. I often find myself wondering what the hell I’m really doing here and then I experience something new that reaffirms my initial desire to… wait, why am I here again? But really, the little things truly make my day-to-day life worthwhile.

            The winter months have been rather hectic. I have been busier than I initially thought I would be during the school break. Much of that is due to the PC workshops and training sessions my education group has had to attend. The trainings are helpful but they take up so much time!
           
            July 17th was spent in Mohale’s Hoek, the district to the north of Quthing, celebrating the King’s birthday. Every year there is a celebration in one of the districts and the districts rotate the responsibility. I was able to see the King of Lesotho! But from really far away so I’m not sure if it really counts. At one point a plane flew over the crowd and parachuters came tumbling down from the sky trailing signs that read happy birthday in both English and Sesotho.
           
            The day following the King’s birthday I started off at 7:30 am for a vacation in Mozambique with two other volunteers, Tishina and Aparna. We spent a total of 36 hours trying to get to our destination on the beach by traveling on public transport. We took a combie to Maseru early that first morning, crossed the boarder, spent 5 hours on another combie that took us into the sketchy taxi rank of Johannesburg just as it was beginning to get dark. After hearing all sorts of stories from PC staff about muggings and theft we were weary of the area but as always we managed to avoid any danger. From there we boarded an overnight bus that took us directly into Maputo, the capital city of Mozambique. When we got into Maputo we had to find another combie that would take us up the coast to a backpackers in Tofu. What we thought would be a 5-hour combie ride (because that’s how long we were told it would take from other volunteers) turned into 9 hours cramped and tucked away in the stifling 90-degree weather- here I am complaining about the heat when I just got out of the snow. At this point, my ankles were swollen like those of a late term pregnant woman’s.
           
            We spent 3 beautiful days at the beach, soaking up the sun (in my case burning because apparently the anti-malarial meds I had to take make people more sensitive to the sun). After 3 months of frigid temperatures, the 36-hour trip to Tofu was more than worth it. In so many ways Mozambique looked like what I thought Lesotho was going to look like. I’m not sure how to best explain that, but there were palm trees everywhere as was the sand. The infrastructure was different in many ways to Lesotho. In many ways Mozambique seemed more developed, such as the road conditions and the capital city of Maputo. But once we were outside of the capital city it turned into grass huts and farmland, children without shoes (as is also common in Lesotho) and few conveniences. The local people spoke a mix of Portuguese and various native tongues but very little English. It was a more difficult way of traveling given our limited language abilities, but it all worked out in the end! It was a nice break from the cold weather and stress of trying to make a difference in our communities. Perfect vacation, and cheap! We were happy to get back to Lesotho where we knew at least the general idea of what people were saying in Sesotho though.

              
            By the time we came back from Mozambique, school was just around the corner. Back to the grind! I am happy to say that I have received support from a couple of my high school science teachers, Dr. Berrey and Mrs. Nothdurft! They took time out of their lives to compile notes, assignments and tests they had used for my science courses in school, put all the information on a flash drive and sent it to me. I now have additional materials to be able to enhance my teaching. So far it has been a blessing and I am sharing the wealth with a couple of my fellow science teachers. We are extremely grateful for the additional information.

            Last weekend I organized an HIV/AIDS workshop for my Form C students. I worked with a Christian non-government organization called World Vision. They were extremely helpful in organizing food for the students; the students received fully catered meals the entire weekend (breakfast, lunch and dinner), more than making up for the fact that they had to go to school on a weekend. The workshop focused on HIV prevention strategies and given one in four people in Lesotho are known to be infected with HIV we decided to also focus on how people could live longer, healthy lives even thought they are infected with HIV. There are many misconceptions when it comes to HIV in the rural areas and it was a good opportunity to spread more knowledge about HIV to the upcoming generation. I was very happy with how everything went and the questions my students had about the subject. I feel like I have finally done something worthwhile for my community. This coming weekend I am taking the HIV/AIDS training a step further and have organized for another non-government organization to come out to counsel and HIV test the students and anyone else in the surrounding community interested. I pray the testing event is as successful as the workshop turned out to be. Planning is difficult due to my lack of cell phone coverage so if I want to go to town and work with these organizations I usually have to miss a day of school. I feel like it is counter-productive but what can I do? It usually works out in the end so I’m not terribly concerned.

            New bits: The pigs on the school compound are the bane of my existence. I spent a weekend early in May trying to get a garden planted with peas (they are winter hearty) and they were doing well until the pigs at the school got out of their pens and destroyed it about a month ago. I was NOT happy. I had been looking forward to fresh peas this spring! We had one pig butchered about two weeks ago so I have exacted part of my revenge. The others need to be looking over their shoulders…
            I recently tried chicken feet. The Basotho eat chicken feet as snacks and so one of the teachers I work with asked me if I had ever eaten them (no), and proceeded to cook a batch for me. They were chewy… but not bad! Next on my list—chicken heads; I hear the brains are tasty.
            I have been training for the Makhotlong Marathon with a group of students after school for the past two weeks. I’m excited to say I think I have a couple students who could go somewhere with running. The purpose of taking them to the marathon is to expose them to something new and teach them dedication to something that is not always fun or easy. So far they are doing wonderfully! The only problem is that they currently run in their school shoes, which are not running shoes. Thus, I am currently trying to figure out a way I could get them shoes to run in.
            Finally, just for the farmers in the family, you have been asking mom and dad what the temperatures are like in Lesotho during the winter; when it snows the temperatures are typically around 10 or 15 degrees F. I think it probably reached negative temps only once since I’ve been here. During the day, if it hasn’t been snowing it reaches 40 or 45 degrees F. Recently it has been getting up into the mid 60s. It makes me so happy!! Warmth at last!

            I apologize for the length of this post. I have not written in so very long that I actually have much more to say. However, I am tire of typing. J I hope everyone is doing well! As always, I love and miss you so much! Stay well and enjoy the fall football season.

No comments:

Post a Comment