Thursday, January 10, 2013

Family and Christmas


            I apologize in advance for the length of this post; so much has happened between then and now. On the agenda for today is an update on my school then I will jump into my Christmas and New Year’s vacation with my parents and sister. I have also asked that they prepare their own observations and commentary in order to post them here. I want to make sure you get the full picture.

Tiping
            I mentioned in my last post that my school was to receive a computer lab; well, it has been installed. The donating group, CBS (Computer Business Services?), installed 20 computers in an extra classroom along with 6 large solar panels to power them. The organization selected one school from each district in Lesotho as pilot schools for education in computer literacy. Therefore, there are 10 pilot schools throughout Lesotho and Tiping is one of them!!! Exciting!
           
            Even more exciting (especially for me) is that the organization pressured a cell provider into erecting a cell tower on the mountain across from my school which means communication will be easier for me soon, very soon. Now, they have been working on this cell tower for the past 2 months (or more). I went on vacation for two weeks thinking it would be working by the time I came home, but yet again I have fallen into the trap of wishful thinking. I can see it! It looks completed, standing tall and smug, looking down at me, taunting me. My palm is itching, begging to spend endless hours texting my life away. Sigh.
           
            I’m getting ahead of myself.  The real reason I am so excited about the cell tower is that with its introduction there are endless educational developments and opportunities for my students. Granted, we will need to take baby steps with the computers. It might be a while before we introduce the concept of the Internet let alone actual use of the Internet, but for me it will mean better teaching resources, better ideas. I have also been playing with the idea of beginning a film club (since we now have the ability to power a TV without using the generator). I want to teach some of my students about different genres of movies while at the same time exposing them to more English use, reinforcing their reasons to learn English and become fluent. On that note, I am reevaluating my package request list; if anyone is interested in sending a package but don’t know what to include, I would love USB drives with teenage appropriate movies loaded onto them and maybe, if you have them lying around, science, math, or English education cartoons. I see only great things coming from this development. Hopefully I am right.
           
Family Vacation/Educational Experience/Road Trip           
            All right, to the good stuff-- the family vacation; road tripping on a whole new level (that might have been an understatement). Overall, it was a good vacation and we didn’t have any real mishaps; aside from a little back tracking and taking dubious back roads, all was well! But you wouldn’t know that from the amount of cursing coming from the drivers seat. The family arrived in Lesotho at 8 am on the 19th after almost 24 hours of traveling (they spent 13 hours in the Johannesburg airport on a layover—we could have driven back and forth twice in that amount of time).
           
            Anyway, I had been almost confident that I could get to the airport before they arrived so that I could get it all on video; however, we got stuck (Tishina came with me to pick them up from the airport) in the taxi rank haggling with a taxi driver over the price of a private ride to the airport; a combie to the airport from Maseru costs R9, this guy was asking R180 for two people! Grrr. We got lucky and were able to hop into a combie that was picking people up along the way—combies never leave unless they have every seat filled so I’m not sure how we managed it  (divine intervention, maybe?). We literally arrived on time and they were already in the lobby. Completely unexpected! I thought I would at least have a 15-minute window of time while they were going through customs and getting their luggage, but no.
           
            Well, we did the normal greetings with mom tearing up and dad laughing and saying, “hey sis!”  Sharity, not normally a big hugger, gave me a hug! They were tired but I had a full day planned for them. They couldn’t go to bed at 8 am. Had to kick the jetlag in the butt so I kept them on the move all day. They weren’t too happy with me either. First thing was first though; we had to get the rental car. Dad learned how to drive manual transmission on the left hand side of the road quickly because from the airport we went into the capital city, Maseru. I took them to the Peace Corps office where they were able to meet many of the PC staff, including my Assistant Program Country Director (APCD), Dr. Liphoto, a.k.a. my boss. Mom was mortified that I was taking them to the office when she didn’t even have makeup on! But everyone at the office was excited to meet them, makeup or no makeup—they see dirty PCVs all day, I don’t think they noticed.
           
            We went from the PC office to the one mall in Lesotho (actually, big news, they are building a second mall in Maseru—to bad we can’t even get a Shoprite-big grocery chain-in Quthing). We were able to pick up some groceries there, things that Sharity could eat, lots of veggies—or as dad calls it, rabbit food. From there we traveled to Mohale’s Hoek for lunch where we met Aparna. We should have probably just gotten a hotel room there but I was on a one-track mind to keep them awake and get out to my site. By this point people were getting rather grouchy. After lunch we made our way to Quthing where we dropped Tishina off and finally it was out to my site, but not before Mé Mathabo, my supervisor, had her say. I got call after call from her making plans then changing them. I think everyone was just overwhelmed by this point and Mé Mathabo exacerbated the situation perfectly. And we hadn’t even started in on the gravel roads yet!
           
            The last leg of our journey was the gravel road out to my site. It took an hour and a half to get out there but, to my amazement, the little car we rented did the job. We had gotten about 2 miles down the gravel road when mom asked if that was the worst of it. Now, you have to understand, we had been driving on the good, newly fixed, portion of the road; it was about to get much worse as they soon found out. I don’t know how many times I told them how bad the road is but they never listen to me! We did manage to bottom out a couple times. Dad began referring to it as the ‘goat path. By the time we reached my house it was about 4 pm. They made themselves at home and passed out immediately, happy to have their Odyssey over. At this point I dug out dads iPad and started watching the Dark Knight Rises which dad had brought for me—my equivalent of a Christmas stocking gift. I had a blissful evening.
           
            You would think that they would have slept for hours, but they were up and down all night—something about it being too hot?? Yup, Lesotho with no AC.  Then there were the latrine visits. Because my room is so small and we had every possible floor space covered, when one needed to go to the latrine all would wake due to the tripping, the flashlights and the unlocking of the door. This may be too much information but all volunteers in Lesotho are given a pee bucket when we first arrive in Lesotho. Some volunteers use it on a regular basis but because my latrine is literally right outside my front door I have no problem getting to the latrine at night. I could find it in the middle of the night with my eyes closed if I had to. But I foresaw this being a problem so I got the pee bucket out, just in case. It didn’t get used until the third night and not because no one had to pee.
           
            Even better than the latrine, Ralphy decided to make his appearance around 11 pm on the first night. He was able to find the two people who would appreciate him the least in a matter of minutes. He felt the need to sleep on Sharity’s pillow, eat in her ear, snuggle up with mom then repeat the rest of the night. I trained him well!
           
            The next few days were fairly lazy. Everyone got to experience bucket bathing, cooking and cleaning without running water, and washing a couple loads of laundry by hand. Dad got his watercolors out and began working on some of the scenery while mom attempted to kill flies. One of the primary teachers came out with her 1-year-old twins to meet everyone so we had babies running around slobbering on everything. I also cooked a traditional meal of papa, moroho (greens) and linaoa (beans). They really didn’t respond well to the fare. I guess it’s something you have to acquire a taste for?
           
            The rest of the trip was spent driving through South Africa, making our way to Cape Town along the Garden Route. We played a fun game along the way of guess what the road signs mean. The driving was definitely my least favorite part of the trip though. We learned we have to keep dad well fed if it’s going to be a pleasant drive, wheaties and nuts don’t do the job.
           
            We spent two nights in a little college town about the size of Columbia, MO called Grahamstown, home to Rhodes University. While there we went out to eat at a pub called the Rat and Parrot. Dad was able to satisfy his need for good red meat since he hadn’t had any for a number of days. Like I said…keep him well fed. Also, while staying in Grahamstown we were able to visit the Addo Elephant Park. It is a drive-through safari park—no exiting your vehicle unless you want to be lion doo-doo. We spotted herds (lots of heards) of Elephants, a few zebras and a selection of other animals, but the bush is so thick during the summer months that it was difficult to spot other animals.
           
            After Grahamstown we drove to Montagu, a small town known for its dried fruits (Sharity would have been in heaven if everything hadn’t been closed for Christmas). Montagu was a beautiful little town in the heart of the South African wine country, located on the R-62, a famous scenic route in SA. Again, we spent two days at a bed and breakfast in Montagu before heading through the wine lands of Stellenbosch and Frenschoek to Cape Town. It was a breathtaking drive winding around rugged mountains, emerging into valleys covered in vineyards. So much wine! Anyone who loves wine should make his or her way to Stellenbosch at some point in his or her life.
           
            Activities in Cape Town revolved around tours; specifically, the Robben Island tour as well as a wine tour through the Stellenbosch wine lands for mom’s birthday. You can’t go to Cape Town without doing the Robben Island tour. It is a necessary educational experience. The wine tour was probably one of my favorite parts of the trip (not because of the wine, but because dad didn’t have to drive). It was a very good day, relaxed and fun. We learned a lot about the wine making process, South African wines, and pairing wine with cheese.
           
            The wine tour ended the vacation for the family. But if you know my mom, you know that she doesn’t ever go on vacation; she goes on educational experiences. I think it is safe to say that the trip was truly an educational experience for all of us. They flew out of Cape Town on the 29th (ready to go home, I think) while I remained in Cape Town to meet with some Peace Corps friends for New Year’s Eve. The next few days I stayed at a dingy backpackers (not the best backpackers I’ve ever been to) on Long Street, which, it appears, is where the party is for anyone not from Cape Town. Since I had already completed a lot of the touristy activities there are to do in Cape Town I was able to spend my days shopping (in several different malls), relaxing, taking showers (so many showers!), drinking (moderately, of course), and eating (even better than the showers because of the sushi, East Indian Food Bizarre, pizza, Mexican food, etc. What I’m trying to say is that there was so much variety! My stomach was in food heaven). 
           
            Sadly, it came to an end all too soon. I had a wonderful Christmas season and New Year; I couldn’t have asked for better. Well, maybe…being able to see more family and friends from home could have made it just a little better.
           
Now
            I am now at my site sitting around, twiddling my thumbs. Actually, I really should be doing more than that—I have recently been informed that one of the teachers at Tiping Secondary School, the other math teacher, will not be returning and so I have the opportunity to take on her classes. Therefore, I will be teaching Form A, B and C mathematics while dropping the Form A science class I had last year. It is an increase of 7 forty-minute periods per week. I think I will enjoy it. I have discovered I really don’t care to teach science so this change is a welcome change. I should be preparing!
           
            The next few weeks will be spent reading, preparing and going to my mid-service conference! I have now been in Lesotho for over 14 months. I have been a sworn-in volunteer for just over 12 months. I have less than 12 months to go. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Is it too early to begin the countdown? I know this next year is going to fly by. There is so much I still want to do and I don’t know if there will be enough time. I have torn emotions; I would consider extending if I didn’t need to go back to school and get some kind of professional degree. Seeing family and having a glimpse of the modern amenities I once had were also deterrents from the extending service idea.
           
            As always, I miss you all so very much (another deterrent). I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and a happy new year (the world didn’t end!!). Let us see what wonders 2013 will bring. I also want to thank you all for keeping up with my blog over the past year. That alone is encouraging and supportive. I am happy I have the opportunity to share my experience with you, to share another culture. I am often asked if I will take photos home to show people what the Basotho culture is like; I tell them I am already working on it. You should see the smiles I get from that.

            Wishing you the best for this year!
                        --Sadie Marie

1 comment: