Friday, January 18, 2013

Sharity's P.O.V.

I have to admit that when the trip to Lesotho and South Africa was proposed, I was not thrilled by the prospect. That’s not to say that I did not eagerly want to see Sadie, her site, or South Africa. Yet, (1) the timing was terrible for me, (2) recent discoveries of food allergies and intolerances made me extremely apprehensive of unpredictable conditions and accommodations, and (3) I possess knowledge of what it is to travel with Dad, Mom, and Sadie for extended periods... Moreover, I did not have the time to adequately prepare for the trip, with regards to research about Lesotho and South Africa and familiarizing myself with the itinerary. To say that I experienced a great deal of anxiety prior to the trip would be an understatement.

But the trip itself was fantastic.

Admittedly, Dad and Mom are not savvy international travelers, though they did their best to prepare and cope. And, understandably, after a few days in our company Sadie could not help a brief bout of recidivism to her youngest child role. I perforce took up the mantle of leader, even if it meant bearing accusations of being a backseat driver. That was the least of my worries. Might you be familiar with the phrase “herding cats”? It applies here.

Anyway, Dad and Mom have already described to you Sadie’s initial bait and switch regarding our accommodations in Lesotho and the basic itinerary we followed as we made our way into and across South Africa. I more or less agree with their sentiments. I, like Mom, do not care for camping, so staying 3 nights at Sadie’s site was an adjustment, though all I had to hear was the word “latrine” and I knew exactly what the quality of the conditions would be and what to expect (thank goodness it wasn’t “hole in the ground, exposed to the elements”). In fact, her site ended up being far better than I had anticipated. Although, I could have done without the wretched Ralphie’s “gifts” of half dead lizard, desiccated mouse corpse, and ticks. At any rate, Lesotho and South Africa were beautiful and the people we met were wonderful.

I feel incredibly grateful that I had the opportunity to travel to such faraway places with my family; indeed, I’m beginning to appreciate more and more the hilarity of the entire endeavor. It was a Christmas Vacation that I will never forget and which National Lampoon can never surpass.

Love to Dad, Mom, and Sadie.

Sharity

No comments:

Post a Comment