Sunday, January 13, 2013

Mom's point of view

OK, so even though Sadie and Rusty have thoroughly filled you in on our trip to Southern Africa, no one will leave me alone until my perspective is communicated. This will be short. I want to begin by saying that I would not trade these few days in a land and culture very different from my own for anything - it was educational, enlightening and endearing.

I’m not going to begin by saying that I was my charming self, anyone who knows me well, knows that’s not even remotely possible. You have to remember I’m a spoiled, white American woman of a particular age that has been pampered. I agreed to spend one night at Sadie’s site without running water, electricity and an inside bathroom, I spent 3 nights. Not of my choosing. What I realized is, that if I have to, I can survive less than ideal conditions. Although, after one night when it was necessary for me to visit the latrine 4 times, no one really wants to live with me under those kinds of conditions. And remember I said I’m of a particular age, so when I say it’s time to go to the bathroom I don’t always have the time to stumble over everyone in the dark, find the flashlight, unlock the security gate with an old fashioned skeleton key, sprint several yards through the weeds, down the hill to the smelly latrine. There were certain garments that were thrown away, not making the trip back home.  Oh, and I almost forgot, it’s summer time there and there is no air conditioning - need I say more! I have to say I have a much greater appreciation for the young men and women serving humanity in remote parts of the world.

Sadie kept us all busy by showing us how to cook on a two burner gas contraption, hauling water, washing our clothes in a wash basin, and bucket bathing. You can’t imagine how good it felt to wash off, no matter the washing process after traveling for two whole days just to get to this remote location. Brushing our teeth and spitting in the bucket was also welcome after a couple of days by which time your teeth feel like they’ve got moss growing them. After the third night in remote Lesotho I was ready to head south into South Africa where I hoped the infrastructure would be more of what I am accustomed. And I’m happy to report that it was much more accommodating to my needs/wants (what’s the difference?). Anyway, throughout the entire trip I’m still sleep deprived and my blood sugar levels low, and though the entire trip progressed smoothly and without incidence my anxiety levels remained high. I’m a worrier and a “what if” er. But my kind husband and patient daughters understand my insecurities and made the trip wonderful and unforgettable in so many amazing ways! We saw beautiful country, met beautiful and endearing people and came away with a sincere appreciation for a part of the world I would never in a million years dreamed that I would get an opportunity to visit.

In closing, I want to say thank you to Sadie for being so brave in going so far away to serve people and humanity in an effort to make our world a better place. And I want to say thank you to Sharity for being the ultimate understanding daughter to me and incredible big sister to Sadie. You had the ability to understand and fulfill both our many needs. Love you both and pray for your safety daily!! Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment