Thursday, January 10, 2013

Happy Turkey Day (WOOPS! THIS NEVER GOT POSTED LIKE IT SHOULD HAVE!)

           I am technically done with my first year of teaching! It feels good. My students begin taking their final exams today so all I have left to do now is create their exams and then grade. School actually ends on November 29th, but I’m done! I made it though my first year teaching!!!! Time to begin preparing for next year—now that I have a better understanding of what I’m doing and how o go about teaching, I need to focus on improving my teaching approaches and skills.
           
            Many things have happened over the past couple months; host volunteer visit, training of trainees, introducing Halloween to my students and the general, everyday living. Oh, and I shouldn’t forget to mention, 6 solar panels have recently been installed at my school in preparation for a computer lab.
           
            I’ll start with host volunteer visit (we volunteers have labeled it HVV because we think Peace Corps needs a few more acronyms). The HVV is the visit made by the new training group to current volunteers around Lesotho. It is the first opportunity trainees get to see what Lesotho is like outside of training village, and their first time to see what real schools look like and how they function. They embark on their journeys to different corners of Lesotho when they’ve been in Lesotho for a mere week and a half, so you can imagine how they were feeling—slightly overwhelmed.
           
            The trainee that came to my site was able to experience an enjoyable taxi ride, a comfortable bed, full amenities, a spacious toilet, and fully equipped school. HA! I wish. I missed school the day I had to collect her from the Quthing taxi rank because there is only one taxi that passes Tiping—at 7:15 in the morning. Tishina had the pleasure of playing mother goose, directing all the trainees from Maseru to Quthing, dumping trainees off in various districts along the way such as Mafeteng and Mohale’s Hoek. When they arrived in Quthing it was nearly three in the afternoon.
           
            Side note: I have been told to be in A’skop to catch the taxi back to Tiping by three if I want a ride home, so naturally, anytime I arrive in A’skop at three or before, the taxi doesn’t leave until 7 or 8 pm. On two occasions I have gotten to A’skop around 3:30—of course the taxi would be gone already. On those occasions I have no other choice but to turn around and stay another night at Tishina’s.
           
            Don’t worry; in the case of the visiting trainee we did not miss the taxi. Oh, no, it didn’t leave A’skop until 6:30. Again, this girl had only been in Lesotho for a little over a week so her Sesotho was still very much a work in progress so naturally the entire time we were sitting, waiting for the taxi to leave, she got more than enough practice in Sesotho and even Sexhosa—something Peace Corps failed to mention to her. Fun!!
           
            The next two days at school were productive and I believe she received a good representation of a typical rural Lesotho school. My teachers were very friendly, the perfect hosts. The students also received her very well. They were more curious about her than they’ve ever been about me. They also automatically assumed that we were sisters (we both have long blond hair). The following day I took her back into town where she was able to compare my school to that of a camp town school, Tishina’s. Her comment, “It really seems like it makes a difference how well they know English, based on their responsiveness.” We do what we can with what we’re given.
           
            Oh well! I hope I was a good host at least! We made a deep-dish pizza one night for dinner. Everything was homemade (the sauce and the dough) except for the cheese (which I had the trainee pick up in Maseru before she came to Tiping). I might add that it was extremely tasty. Success! Remember, I have to cook everything on a gas stove because I don’t have an oven.
           
            Less than two weeks after the trainees returned to training village from HVV, I arrived in their training villages to actually help with their training (because I am an expert at teaching of course. Yup) I spent three days with the trainees, helping the PC staff and teachers from the Lesotho College of Education prepare these trainees for what they should expect once they get to site. Sessions include everything from how the build good relationships to classroom management to assessment concepts (all required sessions for trainees from PC Washington). While in training the information you are given is useful, you know you need it. However, going through the training of trainees you realize just how important the information is. After only one year experience teaching I know how badly these new volunteers need to pay attention, but paying attention is difficult while in training. You are constantly treated like a child and the ADD is so much worse then you remember it ever being in high school or college.
           
            I returned to Tiping for a week and am now to the present day, sitting in a hotel room. I am, once again, helping with training. This time it is for a workshop that is held at a hotel in Mohale’s Hoek, score! I’m not sure how I lucked out on this opportunity. Someone must be praying that I get a shower… didn’t think I smelled that badly. It has been a productive workshop for the volunteers. They meet their Introductory Liaison, IL, or the person who is supposed to baby-sit the volunteer at their sites for the first three months of service, for the first time and embark on a trip to their very own sites for a three-day stay. They still have three weeks left of training before they swear in and go to their sites permanently so it is only a short visit; a brief taste of their new homes for the next two years. 
           
            Anyway, moving on. I seem to mark my time here by big events; I always have my mind on the next big thing. For the past month I have been thinking about training the new group. Now that I’m actually here in training, and it is almost over, my new focus is on my family’s upcoming visit to Lesotho. My parents and my sister are making the effort to see me in December. They arrive in Lesotho on the 19th and will depart from Cape Town on the 29th.
           
            Not only do I get to see my family for the yuletide season, but we’ll also be celebrating my wonderful mother’s 50th birthday (I’m sure she’s not too happy that I just mentioned her birthday, but it had to be made known!). Now, I can’t give too many details about the trip because I’ll need something to write about after they leave, but I can reveal that we are taking family road-tripping to a whole new level. It’s something we haven’t done in many years (and for good reason-- I’m slightly apprehensive about hours in the car with my sister). Whatever happens, I’m sure it will make for a good story—or two.
           
            They have their tickets and have been getting the necessary shots so there’s no backing out now! And of course they will be experiencing my site with all of it’s modern conveniences-- I’m still working on how I’m going to fit 4 sleeping people into my room and I’m tempted to leave Sharity at my house for the whole 10 days while the rest of us make our way to Cape Town (so she can REALLY experience Lesotho). Just kidding! Muah! Muah!
           
            Finally, not to sound like a crazy cat lady, but I came home from training a couple weeks ago to find Ralphy’s girlfriend sitting on a chair in my room. I typically leave my window open if I leave over the weekend so that Ralphy can come and go as he wishes. This was an unwelcome surprise. This cat is deathly skinny and absolutely filthy. I’m happy that Ralphy has allowed this cat free range of my room; I really want fleas and other bugs in my bed.
           
            As always, I appreciate everyone’s support and I hope all is well back home. I miss everyone dearly! Especially, as the Christmas season approaches I find myself longing for the family dinners and the hot cider by the Christmas tree. Christmas in the summer just isn’t right. I also want to wish you all a happy Turkey Day! Enjoy the good food and company.

Hugs and kisses,

--Sadie
           

No comments:

Post a Comment